Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day Seven: Quiet Sunday

I stayed close to home today -- slept in a bit, strolled up to the St-Sulpice neighborhood and had lunch at a small cafe I'd seen earlier in the week and wanted to try -- L'Enfance de Lard, which as near as I can tell means "young bacon."  The staff was very friendly, I had a perfect table by the window, and the food was delicious -- grilled chicken livers (I wasn't expecting to get four of them!) and green salad, and grilled hanger steak with caramelized shallots and frites, with a glass of Côtes du Rhône.


After lunch, I strolled into cathédrale St-Sulpice and wandered around the neighborhood some -- up to the jardins de Luxembourg and back to the north side of boul. St-Germain.  I was hoping to stop by the market to buy a few things for dinner, but pretty much everything was closed on Sunday.  Next week I'll know to shop ahead!  I did find the best baguette I've had, at a boulangerie/pâtisserie called Gérard Mulot on rue de Seine.  Next time I'll have to try their pastries, too, but I resisted temptation today! I also went back to the épicerie where I bought my pique-nique earlier in the week -- they're open seven days a week, and even though they're tiny, they have just about everything you might want.  I bought some produce and cheese, plus my first Orangina since arriving in Paris.

By then I was hot and sweaty (it's been cool and overcast in the mornings, then clearing and getting sunnier and warm in the afternoons), so I went back to the room and rested for a while.  The cold Orangina really hit the spot!

Later on, I bestirred myself to go back out for a run (the same route through the jardins de Luxembourg as last time), then came back, showered, and made dinner -- a lovely simple summer dinner of green salad, pâté, the aforementioned perfect baguette, and a really nice cheese that I bought at the marché the other day (the label said rosethym -- as you can see, it has a sprig of rosemary on it, and is just slightly herbal scented.  By the texture, it seemed to be a goat's milk cheese but it's hard to say.  Anyway, it was yummy).  

These are the vegetables that went into the salad: the most adorable lettuces of all time, plus radishes and cucumber:

And here's how the dinner turned out -- I forgot to buy any sort of salad dressing, but made do with a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of soy sauce, and a sprinkling of pepper and fines herbes.  It was actually better than any store-bought dressing, so I'll probably stick with this next time too!


Back to work tomorrow... I have a lot I want to get done during the day, but already have my eye set on a boucher that has precooked rotisserie chickens for dinner.  And maybe one of those pastries from Gérard Mulot...

No comments:

Post a Comment